Summer’s a drawing to a close….
which makes me sad because, ain’t nuthin tastier than summer vegetables! They are simply bursting with color and flavor. And techincally the more colorful your meal, the more nutrient dense, so get to your local farmers market to buy up some goodness!
My other mother’s bestie shared this lil number with us, and it was a hit at our family gathering, even the fried-food-fans were intrigued.
- 1 cup beans–fresh lima beans (1.5 lbs picked), Dermason, black or white beans
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels (raw or roasted, from 2 ears)
- 2 nectarines, peeled and cubed
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 large orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- In a small saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the lima beans until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the beans and rinse under cold water.
- In a large bowl, whisk the lime zest and juice with the olive oil, scallion, jalapeño and shallot; season the dressing with salt. Gently fold in the beans, corn, nectarines, avocado, orange pepper and tomatoes. Refrigerate the “ceviche” for at least 2 hours. Fold in the cilantro just before serving and serve the “ceviche” chilled.
Original Recipe From Food & Wine Magazine